Current Status

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Thought I would start a thread for current status - so there is some where to just post miscellaneous updates.

Update:

Haven't had the opportunity to work on this at all this week.  Got pulled off onto developing a standardized build of VS2005/VS2008/VS2010 with TFS, database project, and SSIS capabilities.  About to finish that work off and hopefully next week I can type of the restore test cases and finish off the initial testing of the restore scripts.  When that is done I'll zip the project up into a new release.

What's next after that?  There are two projects related to backup and restore that I am tasked on working on next.  The first in priority is a utility that would allow us to add a task to Control-M (external job scheduler) to do a database restore to a previous step in the night batch processing.  The goal of this is to allow operations to have the ability to run database restores using the developed scripts and not involve a DBA unless that fails.  The second is a graphical interface for our application developers to use those same restore scripts, but making the selection of parameter values easy and graphical.  And allowing them to restore backups of a production database on one server to a test database on a different server.

So, that is what is next on my plate - and should fill in October, if not into November.

Coordinator
Nov 21, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Ever notice that nothing ever goes according to plan?  Anyway, I'm just about done with a functioning version of the Database Restore Utility (thick client for database restores).  Only have one more day of work this week and I won't be able to get to updating CodePlex tomorrow.  Hopefully next week I'll be able to take a day to get source code sync'd up and get centraldba up to date.  Then - I know - I really need to get some documentation added to the project on setting up a basic management environment with all the central scheduled jobs.  So far I've really only provided the code to get things going but not the howto get it all going.  December 15 is my goal date for having the documentation up to date for the current build and to have the current build code updated with all of the restore functionality.

Question for anyone:  I am using the InfoMessage event with the Enterprise Library DAB and get the InfoMessage events from code that I execute directly.  But if there are any RAISERROR statements inside of a stored procedure that I call - those Events are not bubbling up.  Oh yeah - the code is executing Asynchronously to keep the GUI responsive.

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Yesterday I uploaded updates to the centraldba_db project and the Database Restore Utility.  Today I added a new project, centraldba_msx_db, which is the code that is specific to the MSX server - and has a sproc or two that are required for the Database Restore Utility to work well.  Additionally it contains scripts to create a default set of MSX jobs and local jobs for the MSX server itself.  One of the jobs will execute an SSIS package (included) that will scan the network and populate the table with all of the SQL Server instances that it finds - which in turns populates the list of instances for the restore utility and the Central Registered Servers list.

A new overview documentation page has been added laying out the rough steps to take to initialize the environment.

Coordinator
May 8, 2012 at 2:36 AM

This week I hope to finish a rework of the query (queries) used to determine the files needed to recover a database.  The new query is looking very promising so far, and will reduce the amount of code being used to determine the recovery path.  An additional benefit: it will be able to do automated restores across different recovery paths as long as you take a differential backup after a restore.  I also hope to update the restore utility to support a treeview display of the multiple recovery paths (db/tlog, db/diff/tlog).

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2012 at 8:58 PM

So, as with most rewrites from the ground up, the new restore path query ran into a few issues last month.  I think all the bugs have now been worked out and have uploaded the latest code and zipped it up as a "release."  Hope you like the new restore utility!

Coordinator
Jul 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Just thought I would give a "heads up" on new features in the next release that are currently in development.

1. A configuration program for setting up your first MSX environment.
  2. Currently there is a process to find SQL Servers.  This process is being updated to automatically deploy to SQL Servers that are found, including notifications on such events.
  3. Hopefully a couple tweaks to the Restore Utility that currently irritate me.  
    1. Auto scroll on status screen of a restore.
    2. A button to gather all results from each step (instead of only step at a time)
  4. Bug fix in Restore Utility:  Always restore a new database to the file locations defined in the model database.  Currently a permission denied error is experienced if the file location of a source database is found on a destination but rights don't exist for those directories (ex, in a cluster environment with non-shared disk between instances).