SQL Server 2008 Data Collection

Coordinator
Sep 6, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I am currently working with the Data Collection functionality of 2008, and how to fit it into the centraldba.  I have discovered that there is a very liberal capture of performance counter metrics (Process(*)) that needs to be tweaked in some fashion.  My goal is not to change any of the builtin functionality - so this will probably be implemented as a scheduled job to cleanup or as a trigger to keep certain values from inserting.  Working through that determination today.

Additionally, some additional indexing is mandatory after only 1 week of monitoring 20 servers.

And lastly, I have discovered the SSIS packages are loaded in msdb and can be extracted.  So with those packages in hand, and likely removing the builtin scheduling in favor of MSX/TSX scheduling (for many reasons) I think that backporting this functionality into 2005 should be doable.  Hopefully an answer to that this week.

Coordinator
Jul 19, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Use of the Data Collection utility has been sidebar'd due to how much it retrieves (way, way too chatty) and it's lack of support for older systems.  Instead I have some basic performance counters already gathering in each instance.  In a coming update I will start pulling that information back into the MSX Warehouse database and provide SSRS reports for viewing and analyzing the environment at a glance.